COFFEE, TEA & CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS POST 4: DEJA BLACK!!


HEY FRIENDS, IT'S POST 4 OF MY COFFEE, TEA & CHRISTMAS POSTS AND I AM OH SO HAPPY TO HAVE DEJA BLACK HERE! SHE IS DELIGHTFUL AND IF YOU WILL LOVE HER WRITING TOO IF YOU HAVEN'T READ IT! BELOW IS HER POST FOLLOWED BY HER BIO AND SOCIAL LINKS, AS WELL AS MY REVIEW OF BROKEN BONES! ENJOY:



Holiday Traditions with Deja Black
You know, when Rebecca asked me about my holiday traditions, I have to say I didn’t think I really had any, but then as I drove through the neighborhood on the way home from another event for my children, I remembered exactly what our family does for Christmas and a few new ways I want to try, too.


  1. Each year the kiddos and I drive around to look at Christmas lights through the neighborhood. Now, there’s actually a lovely event here called Lights Under Louisville, and one would think that my little people would want to go back to it again to enjoy the huge production in the Mega Caverns. We’ve gone to it twice, but no. They get excited about trips through the surrounding neighborhoods where we ooh and ahh about the lights, deciding which house is the winner each year.


I think I get that from my mom who loved taking us to see the lights in Edisto Gardens in Orangeburg, South Carolina when we were little and even her grandchildren now. We know that the first night we’re there for the holidays, we’re taking a drive to see the lights.


And, the kiddos and I can’t wait.


  1. We put up a tree every year using the ornaments we’ve gathered. We have fairies and Disney characters, Star Wars and Star Trek, cars and trucks, and handmade ones from school including ones that Daddy made when he was small. We add new favorites each year. We listen to music, dance, eat popcorn and hang ornaments. Sadly, a few have been lost to an eager hand or two, but it’s still fun to let them help put up the tree.


  1. Christmas time truly becomes movie time for us whether it’s on a couch or in the theater. We love the way the theaters here have moved to recliners. So, if we’re going, we go to one with recliners. Or, we can simply enjoy the huge couch we have at home, the one we all share where no one actually argues for a change because we’re enjoying a movie together complete with snacks from Mommy. Maybe this year I’ll get to show them Gremlins! We’ll see.


  1. I’m from South Carolina and my hubby’s from Buffalo, New York. But, he has family in Virginia Beach, too. We live in Louisville, Kentucky. That makes life pretty interesting because out of the almost eleven years we’ve been married, I believe we’ve only had Christmas at home twice. This was going to be our year, but then my dad sent me a text asking to “Please come home for Christmas”. So, instead of staying home, we’re driving down to South Carolina. The kids are looking forward to it especially since they know we’re not leaving them there. Ha ha!


  1. I teach, and every year I go against the rules. I play holiday songs, let the students have a party, watch a holiday movie or whatever they vote on that won’t get me in too much trouble, and give them each a candy cane. Every one of them, no matter their faith or belief, looks forward to a break where they can just have fun. I do, too.


We also write letters and make cards for the children in hospitals, the ones who can’t go home for Christmas.


Am I teaching? Yes. I’m teaching them that it’s okay for us to just celebrate together and enjoy the community we’ve built as a class. I’m teaching them to love each other and to take care of those in need. It’s fun, and we’re all happy. This year, I’m thinking of adding games like Uno, Operation and a few other fun ones. Why not? It’s Christmas!


  1. When I was a kid, we had a few traditions. My mom would always give each of us a paper bag that would include a fruit, nuts, a candy cane and a small gift. There would even be the little hard candies with flowers in the center. We would pray and sing a carol before we could open a present. Then, there would be paper everywhere which we would have to clean up before we could really get into playing.  I’m thinking that would be wonderful to add for my own family absent the nuts as both kids are peanut and tree nut allergic.


Something else I would like to add? This year, I’m buying the kiddos pajamas. We were talking about family traditions in class the other day, and my students mentioned getting new pajamas on Christmas Eve, watching a holiday movie and opening one present.  I think that sounds like fun, and I can’t wait.


I do have Christmas traditions, ones that I’ve always done and others I can’t wait to begin. Traditions don’t have labels, don’t have to be over the top. They’re what you do with love.


Have a lovely holiday, everyone.


Lots of love,
Deja

I LOVE THIS POST SO MUCH! I DO THE CHRISTMAS LIGHTS THING WITH THE KIDS TOO! THANKS DEJA FOR THE GREAT POST! NOW FOR DEJA'S BIO AND SOCIAL LINKS, USE EM FRIENDS SHE IS AMAZING!

DEJA BLACK had fantasies of men loving men, men who felt strongly, loved hard, and needed a hero. Then one great day she came across a book and discovered the world of m/m writing, encountered others who shared her obsession as much as she did, and found a world where she could not only be accepted for the lives and loves she envisioned, but she could create them too. So why not? Why not take the stories she would write and throw away as a teenager, grow them, dream them, and make them a reality where she could know her own characters, let them live their story, and make them real for someone else? And she did. Now, with the support of her hubby and some intense time management, she is learning to balance her family of two children at home and the many others she teaches each and every day with her passion of writing what she loves to read. 

Deja is always interested in connecting to new people who also share her love, so please feel free to contact her at:


 Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/deja.black.96

 Blog: http://dejablack77.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @DejaBlack69

NOW HERE IS THE LINK TO MY REVIEW OF BROKEN BONES, I LOVE THIS BOOK AND CAN'T WAIT FOR BOOK 2!!!

BEC'S BROKEN BONES REVIEW

THANKS FOR JOINING ME FOR POST 4, AND THANKS AGAIN DEJA FOR A WONDERFUL POST! SEE YOU GUYS FOR POST 5 SOON!






No comments:

Post a Comment