WHAT WHO WRITES IS READING WEEK 2: HANNAH WALKER!!


HELLO FRIENDS, I AM SO EXCITED TO BRING YOU WEEK 2 OF WHAT WHO WRITES IS READING! THIS WEEK I AM FEATURING HANNAH WALKER AND I CAN'T WAIT TO SHARE HER AWESOME POST WITH YOU! BELOW IS HER POST AND THE LINK TO THE BOOK SHE FEATURED, AS WELL AS LINKS TO ALL MY REVIEWS I HAVE DONE FOR HER! ENJOY GUYS, IF YOU HAVEN'T READ HANNAH YOU WILL LOVE HER WORK!!


HANNAH'S POST: 


So Bec asked me to pick a favorite book. Wow, this is so much tougher than I ever imagined it could be. How do you narrow down a list of hundreds, if not thousands? What genre do you pick? How can you possibly compare high fantasy to an erotic tale?

So I decided, let’s keep it simple. Stick to MM romance. It can’t be that hard, right? Wrong! There are still so any sub-genres to choose from. I’ve agonized over this, gone back and forth and changed my mind a couple of times. I thought about cheating and choosing a series, but then, which one?

Firstly, rule out books that have too much sex. Don’t get me wrong, I like sex in books, but only where it’s needed for the plot. We know the MC’s are probably getting it on every chance they get, I don’t need to hear about it each time. Plus, let’s be frank here, too many sex scenes can get boring and repetitive.

Secondly, plots. I need a decent plot in my books. I need to engage my brain. Sure, there are times I want nothing more than a feel good, easy read, but as reading time is so precious, I’m careful what I read these days. I would happily read a book with plot and no sex scenes, then a book with loads of sex and little plot.

Then there’s length to consider. I like long books. I like to develop a relationship with the characters, to really get to know them. So no super short reads for me.

Okay, that narrowed the list down from thousands to hundreds!
In the end I chose Megan Derr’s Tournament of Losers.

Why? Well one of our MC’s Rath is kind of an anti-hero. He really doesn’t want to be entering into the tournament but circumstances give him little choice. He’s funny, kind hearted, has some good friends, some enemies, a nightmare of a father and a besotted nobleman to contend with. Born on the rougher side of the tracks as it were, he still makes the most out of life he can and his life has made him strong.

The book manages to discuss and highlight some of societies issues without being preachy or making too much out of it. Gender and orientation are a part of life and no one is treated differently because of it. It simply doesn’t matter in this world, from pairings in couples to the roles people take for work.
The book is a spin on rags to riches and winning the hand of the fair prince. Although the love story is there, it’s not the book’s focus. As for the tournament itself, it’s well written and while there are no real surprises for the reader it’s the journey you take with the characters along the way that makes it so enjoyable.

Tress, our noble, doesn’t look down on Rath, not once. Not because he comes from the docks, not because his father is a nightmare and not because he is a semi-retired prostitute. He simply sees Rath for the man he is.
There could have been more world-building, but then I like richly developed worlds. This is a great fantasy story without being too fantasy for those who are new to the genre. Give these guys a go. You won’t regret it.

GREAT POST RIGHT? I MUST HAVE THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW! BELOW IS THE LINK  FOR TOURNAMENT OF LOSERS: 





GRAB THIS BOOK, I KNOW I AM GOING TO AFTER THAT GLOWING PRAISE! IF YOU HAVEN'T READ HANNAH'S WORK CLICK ON THE REVIEWS BELOW TO CHECK IT OUT! I LOVE HER WRITING!! 

BEC'S CORIN'S CHANCE REVIEW

BEC'S TATE'S TORMENT REVIEW

BEC'S HANNAH WALKER 3 BOOK REVIEW

THANKS FOR JOINING ME FOR WEEK TWO OF WHAT WHO WRITES IS READING, AND THANKS TO HANNAH WALKER FOR SUCH AN AWESOME POST, CHECK BACK NEXT WEEK FOR ANOTHER AMAZING AUTHOR TELLING ABOUT THEIR FAVE BOOK! SEE YOU THEN!!


No comments:

Post a Comment