CLEAN RELEASE DAY BOOK BLAST!!


HEY GUYS. I AM HERE TODAY WITH MY RELEASE DAY BOOK BLAST OF MIA KERICK'S CLEAN, AND MY GIRL MARINIEVES REVIEWED IT FOR ME! IN ADDITION TO MARI'S (ALWAYS BRILLIAN) REVIEW, I HAVE BOOK INFO, AN EXCLUSIVE EXCERPT, A BLOG POST JUST FOR US ABOUT GUILTY PLEASURES (WHO DOESN'T HAVE THOSE, AND MIA HAS SOME GOOD ONES! :p),AN AUTHOR BIO AND SOCIAL LINKS, AND EVEN A COMMENT TO WIN GIVEAWAY, SO LET'S GET STARTED!
High school senior Lanny Keating has it all. A three-sport athlete at Lauserville High School looking at a college football scholarship, with a supportive family, stellar grades, boy band good looks… until the fateful day when it all falls apart.


Seventeen-year-old Trevor Ladd has always been a publicly declared zero and the high school bad-boy. Abandoned by his mother and sexually abused by his legal guardian, Trevor sets his sights on mere survival.


Lanny seeks out Trevor’s companionship to avoid his shattered home life. Unwilling to share their personal experiences of pain, the boys explore ways to escape, leading them into sexual experimentation, and the abuse of illegal drugs and alcohol. Their mutual suffering creates a lasting bond of friendship and love.


When the time finally comes to get clean and sober, or flunk out of high school, only one of the boys will graduate, while the other spirals downward into addiction.


Will Lanny and Trevor find the strength to battle their demons of mind-altering substances as well as emotional vulnerability?


Clean takes the reader on a gritty trip into the real and raw world of teenage substance abuse.

NOW FOR MARI'S REVIEW:


When you read the Author's note at beginning of Clean ... you get an honest view of the world of temporary resolve through the use of legal or illegal substances.  

Lanny and Trevor met during high school, each trying to escape from their respective lives and problems.  

Both are drowned in the inferno of using and abusing. Life is not easy  ... so much more when Lanny and Trevor don't communicate with each other.  Not really ... because they are not really friends .... they are users in the complete sense of the word. 

When the nightmares almost become reality Lanny and Trevor need to make sure that the changes already started by Trevor transfer to Lanny.  

Lanny and Trevor start a new friendship based on amends and the truth. Based upon the understanding that you can always work hard to come out of the proverbial rock bottom.  

Clean is a story of abuse , choices , understanding , sobriety and ultimately forgiveness of oneself in order to love and be loved.  

                                                       the 4 clean waters rating :)

I LOVE THAT REVIEW AND THAT RATING! HERE IS AN EXCERPT FOLLOWED BY THE BUY LINKS TO THE BOOK, GRAB YOUR COPY NOW!!



Trevor
I know it—Draper’s got something up his sleeve. There’s this sneaky look in his eyes he can’t hide behind those bushy eyebrows and I can see it even in the dim light of the shed I can see it.
The nonstop Christmas party that December’s been for me Chad and Lanny is getting kinda old. “Christmas party” makes it sound all sparkly and snowy with candy canes hanging off it but it hasn’t been that kind of party at all, more like booze and weed and more booze and weed in the shed five nights a week maybe six.
“What you smiling for, Draper?” Got this bad feeling in my gut cuz it’s not a bright and happy smile Draper’s wearing but it’s the other kind.
“Borrowed some happy pills from the back of the linen closet in my mother’s bathroom. She’s such an idiot—she doesn’t even know they were in there. And now they’re mine.” The dude cackles and it sounds wild and maybe even evil but nope it doesn’t sound one bit like giggling tonight.
Lanny’s eyes get round and—hey—what’s this sudden messed-up feeling in me? Like maybe a feeling that I gotta protect him cuz it’s my job and it’s what I want to do too. “Well, what the fuck are these ‘happy pills’, Draper?”
“I have an almost full bottle of Oxy, dude. Not even expired yet.”
“Oxy’s strong stuff.”
“No shit, Sherlock. And if we chew them, the high will be better. Big warning—they taste like poison, so I brought Grape soda to help wash ‘em down.”
“I got a bottle of Jack Daniels, Draper. Pete Rankle gave it to me for checkin’ his brakes—we could drink that instead. The shit isn’t bad.” Why the fuck am I trying to distract Draper from giving us a rock star kinda high like you get from OC? Why, huh? An answer pops into my head real fast and I want to ignore it but I can’t: You wanna save Lanny, that’s why.
“We can always spend tomorrow night with Jack D. but tonight it’s these babies.” Chad kneels down on the floor in front of us and spills out a nearly full bottle of white pills onto the quilt on the floor.
Lanny drops to his knees as if he’s transfixed by the sight of the pills and my blood goes cold like ice I swear. Something’s all wrong here all wrong. Gotta turn away from Lanny’s lovefest with those pills, just can’t look anymore. So maybe I’ll look at the heater and fiddle with its buttons or maybe I’ll grab Lanny by the wrists and pull him outta this shed and outta this danger. I shake my head to make the worried feeling go away. I done plenty of drugs before this is no big deal at all. A few pills won’t kill him.
Gotta stop lying...no, gotta stop lying to myself. The truth is this: doing Oxy’s a big fucking deal. Lanny’s never done anything but booze and weed and taking pills is like entering a new zone of messed-up. I don’t know if I can keep him away from this shit anymore cuz he doesn’t really want to stay away. But still I go down onto my knees beside Chad and Lanny and run my fingers through the pile of round white pills they feel smooth and maybe kinda chalky and they’re gonna dull all of my pain and my worries and everything else. These pills are my friends they’re on my side plus they’re free for the most part. And Lanny’s a big boy so he can do what he wants.


AGAIN, GRAB THIS BOOK GUYS! HERE IS MY EXCLUSIVE BLOG FROM MIA ALL ABOUT GUILTY PLEASURES ( GIRL KNOWS HOW TO DO GUILTY PLEASURES! :p)

Hello everyone at Bike Book Reviews and thank you so much for inviting me to visit on the release day of Clean!

Clean is about the story of two boys who have a great deal of trouble saying no to their cravings. It’s a serious book, in no way lighthearted, because the substances they crave are illegal drugs and alcohol and they just don’t know when or how to stop indulging. This post about guilty pleasures, however, is certainly on the lighter side of the concept of cravings because these are things I choose to indulge in to enhance my life.

Cravings can be incredibly irresistible. I’m not literally addicted to the things I have listed below, but I want them with great passion.

1. Chocolate- I like it in many forms. Dark, milk, but not white. In baked goods I like it in brownies cookies or cake. Hold the chocolate ice cream, though, because I am not an ice cream eater. I like it in drinks, in fact, I am the only one I know who likes Diet Chocolate Fudge Soda. It takes like a tootsie roll. In my humble opinion, desserts and candy without chocolate have no meaning or purpose in my life.

2. Espresso- I only drink lattes. I no longer get myself a cup of coffee, anywhere at all, because espresso drinks fill the bill so much better. Very often, when I ask the barista to add a couple shots to an already strong espresso drink, he or she says, “That’s five shots of espresso, you know.” I look the barista in the eye and reply, “I know, and I’m not scared.” Bring it on.

3. Whales- (a small whale-shaped cheese cracker I can only find at the Big Lots store.) These are the perfect cracker to compliment any sandwich or to eat with Diet Chocolate Fudge Soda as a bedtime snack. I have no ability to resist these crackers when we are in the same room. I now buy them in individual servings bags so I do not consume an entire box, which is easy to do. I speak from experience.

4. My computer- I will admit to being semi-attached to my MacBook Air laptop. It is difficult for me to be separated from it for two hours. I feel a literal pull, drawing me back to it to check emails and Facebook. And starting yesterday, Twitter.

5. My Iphone- Remember the days that when we left the house and we left our telephones behind? We had answering machines that took care of the business of whose calls we missed when we were out living our lives. Now, we can’t be without our phones in our back pockets. When our phones are missing or broken, many of us feel lost and deprived and a bit uneasy. So yes, I’m guilty about it, but my phone is a guilty pleasure in my life that assures me I will not miss anything important or unimportant.

The feelings I posses for the “innocent” items above is so passionate that I think I could be very vulnerable to a craving that could lead to addiction. I have never been drawn to alcohol or drugs, but I am so thankful I never picked up something like smoking cigarettes, or I fear I would never rid myself of it.

How fine is the line between the cravings we have for guilty pleasures and those that turn into powerful addictions?  I think cravings can be nearly impossible to resist, and if the substance is habit forming, maybe impossible.

THANKS MIA, THAT WAS A GREAT POST, AND VERY VERY TRUE! (RUNS TO LOOK UP DIET CHOCOLATE FUDGE SODA :D) HERE IS A BIO ON MIA AND SOME SOCIAL LINKS, PUT EM TO GOOD USE GUYS!




Mia Kerick



Mia Kerick is the mother of four exceptional children—all named after saints—and five nonpedigreed cats—all named after the next best thing to saints, Boston Red Sox players. Her husband of twenty years has been told by many that he has the patience of Job, but don’t ask Mia about that, as it is a sensitive subject.
Mia focuses her stories on the emotional growth of troubled young men and their relationships, and she believes that sex has a place in a love story, but not until it is firmly established as a love story. As a teen, Mia filled spiral-bound notebooks with romantic tales of tortured heroes (most of whom happened to strongly resemble lead vocalists of 1980s big-hair bands) and stuffed them under her mattress for safekeeping. She is thankful to CoolDudes Publishing, Dreamspinner Press, Harmony Ink Press for providing her with an alternate place to stash her stories.
Mia is proud of her involvement with the Human Rights Campaign and cheers for each and every victory made in the name of marital equality. Her only major regret: never having taken typing or computer class in school, destining her to a life consumed with two-fingered pecking and constant prayer to the Gods of Technology.


Author Links



Website (& Blog): www.miakerick.com


THANKS FOR JOINING ME FOR THIS RELEASE DAY BOOK BLAST OF CLEAN, AND ENTER TO WIN A $10.00 AMAZON GIFT CARD BY COMMENTING BELOW, IN THE NEXT 24 HOURS! GOOD LUCK A RANDOM WINNER WILL BE CHOSEN TOMORROW!



No comments:

Post a Comment